What do you focus on?
I serve as counsel for closely-held companies and start-ups at every stage of their business journey. I also work with companies to ensure that they are eligible for certification and advise them on strategic planning, real estate, joint ventures and divestitures as well as help them plan their exit strategy including preparing their estate.
More than a lawyer
I am active with the startup community in Cincinnati. I am on the faculty with the Salmon P. Chase Center for Law and Entrepreneurship, and a volunteer supervising attorney with the Chase Law Clinic. I love to share my expertise and experiences with the next generation of lawyers.
I serve on several non-profit boards including a junior golf program that provides children from 4 to 18 the opportunity to learn to play golf – both as a sport that you can play well into your 80s but as a tool for relationship building and education opportunities. A little boy helped me figure out my putting game one Saturday – he informed me that the reason that the ball didn’t drop in the hole on the putting green was because his putter was broken. Hence – the problem with my entire set of clubs – they are broken.
I am a foodie and love exploring new restaurants in Cincinnati and in Philadelphia (my second home). Traveling and exploring are my passion, and I am always planning for my next adventure.
Finally, I am the proud GiGi to my grandson – he is the boss of me (sorry Fran and Jess). He is such a delight, and I love seeing the world through his eyes.
My goal is live my life with the joy and exploration of a child. Life is truly a treasure.
Cheryl has over 20 years of experience as corporate counsel advising closely-held companies throughout the full life cycle of their businesses. She guides clients through their business formations, especially around compliance with principles of corporate governance, choice of entity and drafting entity formation documents. She devotes much of her practice to helping small- and women-owned businesses navigate the legal system and launch their companies, including obtaining and leveraging appropriate certifications as Women Business Enterprises (WBEs), Small Business Enterprises (SBEs), Minority Business Enterprises (MBEs), Veteran Businesses Enterprises (VBEs) and the like. Cheryl also handles mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and strategic alliances by negotiating terms and drafting ancillary documents needed to complete the transaction. In addition, Cheryl works with clients on business succession plans by coordinating estate planning for owners of single or multiple business ventures.
Cheryl has served as legal counsel for clients in a variety of industries including construction, manufacturing, trucking and transportation, distribution and logistics, restaurants and bars, retail, professional services, engineering firms, marketing companies, investment advisory groups, hedge funds, investment capital firms, wholesalers and industrial sales, real estate holding companies and telecommunications companies. She also works with entrepreneurial incubators in the Greater Cincinnati area as a legal advisor.
Outside of the Firm, Cheryl extends her commitment to diversity to a variety of non-profit endeavors. She is an active member of the Women’s Business Council Ohio River Valley (WBEC-ORV), as well as WBEC-East, which are regional partner organizations for the Women’s Business Enterprises National Council (WBENC), the largest certifier of WBEs in the country. She was recognized as the Volunteer of the Year at WBEC-ORV’s Annual Catch the Wave Conference in 2016. Cheryl is also a member of the Executive Council for the Ellevate Network and serves as Co-President for the Cincinnati Chapter. Additionally, Cheryl is the First Vice Chair of the Steering Committee for the Derby Diversity & Business Summit, which aims to promote diversity within executive leadership and the corporate supply chain. She also serves on the Board of Directors for Reaching Out For Kids, Inc. and the Dupuytren Foundation. Furthermore, Cheryl is on the Advisory Council for the Women Business Collaborative (WBC), which is an alliance of business women’s organizations working together to achieve equal position, pay and power for all women in business. On top of that, she is on the board of directors for the Cincinnati Education For Veterens Foundation (CERV), a nonprofit that negotiates and contracts for Clinical and Basic Research Studies with numerous Clinical Research Organizations, private and public sector corporations investigating pharmaceutical and therapeutic and Medical Device investigations.
- Northern Kentucky University, Salmon P. Chase College of School of Law, J.D.
- Northern Kentucky University, B.S.
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Ohio
- The Sister Accord, Leadership Award, 2020
- Ohio River Valley Women’s Business Council, Volunteer of the Year, 2016
- Cincinnati Education & Research for Veterans Foundation
– Board of Directors, 2021
- Women Business Collaborative
– Advisory Council, 2021
- Ellevate Network, Cincinnati Chapter
– Co-President, 2017-2021
– Executive Council Member, 2015-2021
– Communications Director, 2015-2017
- Ohio River Valley Women’s Business Council
– Volunteer, 2014-2021
– Cincinnati Forum Luncheon Co-Chair, 2017
- Derby Diversity & Business Summit
– 1st Vice Chair, Steering Committee, 2018-2021
- Civitas LGBTQ Chamber of Commerce
– Advisor, 2019-2021
- Reaching Out For Kids, Inc.
– Director, 2004-2021
- Dupuytren Foundation
– Director, 2016-2021
- National Association of Professional Women
– Secretary, Cincinnati Chapter, 2016-2018
- Tri-state Association for Corporate Renewal
– Director & Treasurer, 2008-2016
Writing & Speaking
- "Entrepreneur Boot Camp" - Speaker, Queens City Angels, June 2023
- "DEI Symposium - Chasing Diversity in the Law" - Panelist, Northern Kentucky University—Salmon P. Chase College of Law, February 2023
- "Strategic Planning Masterclass" – Panelist, Jayne Agency/MBE, November 2022
- "Negotiating Indemnification, Reps, and Warranties in Pennsylvania" – Co-Presenter, National Business Institute, December 2021
- “2021 Catch the Wave Virtual Conference: Embrace A New Global Economy” – Speaker, Women’s Business Enterprise Council Ohio River Valley, September 2021
- “Legally setting yourself up for success!” – Presenter, Ellevate Network, May 2021
- “Host City Breakout – Cincinnati: ‘Business Resiliency’” – Host, Derby Diversity Business Summit, April 2021
- “Host City Breakout – Philadelphia: ‘Who Are We Now 2021’” – Host, Derby Diversity Business Summit, April 2021
- “How to Get Your Business Started On The Right (Legal) Foot” – Presenter, Global Economic Diversity Development Initiative, January 2021
- “Entrepreneurship 101: What Does An Entrepreneurship Look Like?” – Co-Presenter, Center for Law & Entrepreneurship and Chase Law & Entrepreneurship Group, September 2020
- “The Intersectionality of Diversity and Inclusion: How Do We Pivot From ‘Them’ to ‘Us’?” – Author, The Legal Intelligencer, August 2020
- “Why Legal Stuff Matters and How to Get It Right” – Presenter, The Freelancers Conference, July 2020
- “Business Resiliency Panel Discussion” – Panelist, Women Empowered, May 2020
- “Supplier Diversity: A Key to Economic Resilience and Innovation Post COVID 19” – Panelist, Derby Diversity & Business Summit, May 2020
- “Advising Hospitality Clients on Contract Concessions To Get Back On Their Feet 2020” – Co-Presenter, Pennsylvania Bar Institute, April 2020
- “Strategic Planning & Exit Strategy While Preserving the Power of Certification” – Presenter, WBEC-ORV Business Development Program – Cincinnati, OH, December 2019
- “Building Your Network: A Conversation” – Panelist, Professional Women’s Advancement Summit – Cincinnati, OH, October 2019
- “Strength of a Plan” – Author, LUXE Magazine, October 2019
- “Business Succession Planning & Preserving the Power of Certification” – Presenter, Great Lakes Women’s Business Conference – Novi, MI, September 2019
- “Off to College?” – Author, LUXE Magazine, September 2019
- “What I’d Tell My Younger Self” – Co-Author, American Bar Association Experience, April 2019
- “The Power of Certification” – Panelist, Derby Diversity & Business Summit – Louisville, KY, April 2019
- “Strategic Planning and Exit Strategy” – Presenter, Ohio River Valley Women’s Business Council’s Business Development Program – Cincinnati, December 2018
- “Young Lawyer Roundtable Series” – Panelist, Griesing Law – Philadelphia, March 2018
- “Charting Financial Performance & Making Strategic Decisions” – Presenter, Ohio River Valley Women’s Business Council’s Business Development Program – Cincinnati, December 2017
- “Legal Structure and Why Legal Stuff Matters” – Presenter, Mortar Incubator Entrepreneurial Program – Cincinnati, July 2017
- “Strategic Planning and Exit Strategy” – Presenter, Ohio River Valley Women’s Business Council’s Business Development Program – Cincinnati, December 2016